We offer education both in Pre-school and School
The pre-school of BISG follows the National Curriculum of England and Wales. As an institution registered with the Board of Education, we also meet all necessary Polish requirements. In our pre-school we have children from different countries however the medium of instruction and communication is English.
We have three pre-school groups:
- Nursery – children aged 2,5-4
- Reception – children aged 4-5
- Class 0 - children aged 6
The opening hours are 7:30 am – 5.00 pm (Monday-Friday). The monthly fee covers all day activities including the additional ones such as Art, Drama, Modern Foreign Languages, PE and Music. After lessons finish at 3.15 pm, children can participate in the Pre-school Clubs program link: Pre-School Clubs or they can be looked after by our teachers in after school care until 5.00 pm.
Through topic based activities, children work towards the National Curriculum Early Learning Goals in six areas of learning:
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Communication, language and literacy
- Numeracy (Mathematics)
- Knowledge and understanding of the world
- Physical Education
- Creative development
Our pre-school is open from September until July (summer school).
The opening hours are 7:30 am – 5.00 pm (Monday-Friday). The monthly fee covers all day activities including the additional ones such as Art, Drama, Modern Foreign Languages, PE, Music and Chess. After lessons finish at 3.15pm children can participate in the School Clubs program link: School Clubs or they can be looked after by our teachers in after school care until 5.00 pm.
The language of instruction except for language classes is in English. In Class 8, we help prepare students for the Polish statutory test.
The Three Core Subjects:
- Literacy (English)
- Numeracy (Mathematics)
- Humanities (Geography, History, Civics)
- Information Communication Technology (ICT)
- Physical Education (PE)
- Drama (a creative subject which aims at developing a number of skills such as thinking outside the box, working as a team, presentation skills, confidence and many more)
- Project (an integrated subject which teaches skills such as decision making, organisation, computer skills, research and editing)
We offer a choice in the following subjects:
- Ethics (through English)
- Religion (through Polish)
A third language:
- Spanish, Russian, French or German
During year 9 and 10 BISG students are prepared for and sit GCSE exams. They one of the world’s most popular international qualifications for 14 to 16-year-olds. GCSEs are a gateway to higher education or professional studies in the home country or overseas.
Exams which our students take are:
- English Language and Literature
- Spanish, French or German
Awarding body: AQA.
Every Monday at 3.20 p.m. we run BABY GROUP. These are special classes for children age 0-2,5 and their carers. During each meeting which lasts 40 minutes we sing, read books, play and chat in English. Baby Group is free of charge and open to external clients.
Our academic curriculum is supported by a wide-range of extracurricular activities available to our students. BISG offers clubs for both Pre-School and School e.g.:
- Modern/Hip Hop Dance
- Chess Club
- Hairdresser Club
- Ocarina Club
- Mural Club
- Sports Club (Football, Tennis, Judo, Swimming)
- Lego and Lego Logic Club
- Art Club
- Reading and Library Club
- Speed Cubing Club
- Polish Club
- Film Club
- Bridge Club
- Design and Technology
- Creative Programming
- Business Club
- German Culture Club
Special days at BISG
Each year special days are planned to enrich our curriculum and tighten ties of friendship in our community.
- Initiation Ceremony
- International Week
- Christmas Fair
- Talent Show
- Weekly School Assemblies
- Book Week
- Whole School Play
- Subject Days with particular workshops and challenges for pupils
- Chinese New Year
- Summer Concert
- Graduation Ceremony
- End of School Barbecue
Throughout the year all children go on a variety of trips which enhance the curriculum.
These can be whole school trips or class specific trips. On average they occur about once a month.
During the 2016/2017 school year our students have been to numerous interesting places:
- London (one-week trip)
- Agricultural farm in Kiełpino
- Castle of the Teutonic Order in Gniew
- Energa's stadium in Gdańsk
- Elves' Factory at AmberExpo
- Ceramic Musuem in Chmielno
- Adventure Park in Gdańsk
- Tipi Garden in Gdynia
- Line Park in Gdańsk
- Arcaded house and agricultural farm in Żelichowo
- Ski slope in Wieżyca
- Museum and science centres:
European Solidarity Centre, Hewelianum, Experyment, Aquarium in Gdynia, Lego Exhibition
- Wybrzeże Theatre, The Polish Baltic Philharmonic, Miniatura Theatre,
To see photos taken during the trips, please visit our Facebook page.
This school year our school again participates in the European Union programme called „Fruit and vegetables at school”. This is meant for students in classes 0-3 who receive fresh fruit, vegetables and juices for free. There are also special lessons, trips and visits organised which support this programme and teach children healthy eating habits.